Thursday, May 26, 2011

Snippets of Greatness: Remembering The Macho Man Randy Savage

WIPCOMICS pays a lil' tribute this week for The Macho Man. (Art by Teddy Pavon)


THE DRIVER SEAT
By Hub Pacheco

Pro-wrestling related deaths are as common as, well, the common cold nowadays. At the top of my head, I list Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit (who shall forever be unremembered), Umaga as some of the most recent and notable deaths. Then, just last week, The Macho Man Randy Savage joined the list. (See the report from TMZ.)

I won't go on about the cause of pro-wrestling deaths. They are as varied and as simple and/or complicated as any other death in any industry. Stress & substance, I think they're about all the same.

Being born in the late '80s, I have barely a handful of memories of The Macho Man. After reading numerous posts remembering Savage (like this one by ESPN's Bill Simmons), it's a shame I didn't live through the Savage-Steamboat feud. By the time I was fully into pro-wrestling, it was already the end of the Federation Era and the start of the unforgettable Attitude Era.

Honestly, the fondest memory I have of Savage is his unique voice. So unique that I marked out when, as a kid, I watched, in a episode of Dexter's Laboratory, the Dial M for Monkey segment called Rasslor, which Savage lent his all-too-perfect vocal chords for.

Of course, during the Monday Night Wars, I saw Savage sporadically on and off the WCW/NWO. It was only after his untimely death that I found out he had a brief stint at TNA.

I've read and seen that Savage was the total package: great in-ring work plus undeniable charisma. Sorry, Lex Luger. From his tassles-laden and colorful ring attire (those solid shades that would shame rappers) to his outlandish promos, man, he was something!

Snippets of greatness is what I've seen of The Macho Man Randy Savage. But greatness, nonetheless.

So here's to you, Macho Man, dropping that elbow from way, way up the top rope of the heavens! OOOOOOOH YEAHH!!!

No comments: