Monday, February 06, 2012

WWFX: The First Indie Wrestling Show in Manila


The Driver's Seat
by Hub Pacheco

After attending five WWE live events in Manila since 2006, my standards for a wrestling show are understandably high. Late last December, when I heard that they were bringing former WWE stars for a show here last Saturday at the same arena where WWE had its live event, Araneta Coliseum, I certainly had my doubts. The card lacked star power and I contemplated on skipping the event completely.

Better photos of the entire event are at my photography website HERE.

Before the show, I repeatedly told my friend that there had to be a host/announcer much like Justin Roberts and Tony Chimmel for the WWE shows here before. Spotting a few Colt Cabana signs minutes before the show, I said to myself, "Wow, this crowd has its smarks."

Two and two were put together in my head when Colt Cabana walked down the ramp as the show's host! It totally caught me off guard! Colt Cabana, the guy made famous by CM Punk in his infamous RAW shoot promo, was in town, complete with his usual intonations and all! He humbly referred to himself as Mr. Colt. I would learn later that Colt did mention he was headed to Manila in his latest Art of Wrestling Podcast.

Jimmy Yang defeats Billy Gunn via a monsault. It was nice seeing Gunn, DX crotch chop and all. I wonder why he didn't follow Road Dogg back to the WWE this year? That would've been something.

Daivari and Hurricane Helms put on a very entertaining match, switching up to an impromptu match with referee Rudy Charles. Conditioning-wise, Helms certainly looked like he was on his way back after his motorcycle accident last year.

A good setup after Melina's (second time here) match with Jillian Hall via a round of beer with a fan lead to Luke Gallows vs. Rhino. Gallows stills plays up the CM Punk Straight Edge gimmick well, I must say. Rhino picked up the win via a gore after a distraction from Melina outside the ring.

Colt Cabana killing it on the mic that night.


If memory serves me right, this is Carlito and Snitsky's second time in Manila. They took advantage of the small crowd and went around the arena during their match. They even passed by my section! I finally did a fan-tap-on-the-arm to a wrestler! Oh yes! Carlito won with the apple-chunks-to-the-face of Snitsky.

Are those MVP's music CDs he's giving away to the crowd?

MVP defeats Chris Masters (second time here) not with a playmaker but with a kick to the head!

The main event with John Hennigan (second time here) and Shelton Benjamin (THIRD time here) for the WWFX Championship saw two, not one, ref bumps, a belt shot to the head, and both wrestler's signature moves. All in all, it was a solidly booked main event.
Melina and JoMo celebrates in-ring. In-character? Hardly. These two are a cute couple!

Overall, it was a solidly booked show, though the intermission was too long. (Wonder what they did back there?) Performing in front of 15,000 or 1,500 people, it was still a good show. Stories were told well and all the babyfaces won and everyone went home happily entertained. And isn't that what pro-wrestling is all about?

Is Helms filming for his web show? We'll find out soon enough!

It's interesting to note that most of the wrestlers on the card have been in Colt's Art of Wrestling Podcast, Carlito being one of them.
Luke Gallows poses for me, well, kinda.

"Hey, Colt! I love the podcast" and "Please sign my iPod" were the only normal things I could think of to say at that time. This fanboy went home happy. Thanks, Colt!

No comments: